The Latest News from Senator Rosapepe's Office: June 2023
Updated: Jul 4
Join us June 22nd for community meeting on the 2023 legislative session and your concerns
Join us June 22nd at the Beltsville Community Center to learn what the recent legislative session means for Beltsville — and to tell us your concerns. The 21st District Delegation, in partnership with the Beltsville Civic Association, Calverton Citizens Association, Vansville Civic Association, Franklin Farms HO and the North Creek Homeowners Association, will be hosting a post-session meeting to discuss what was accomplished in this year’s legislative session. This meeting will be taking place on June 22nd at 7 PM and taking place at the Beltsville Community Center at 3900 Sellman Rd, Beltsville, MD 20705. This will be a wonderful opportunity to speak to and engage with your legislators in Annapolis on issues important to the Beltsville community.
COVID Call Center Services
As of April 24, 2023, MDGOVAX Call Center Services are transitioning to 2-1-1 Maryland. Marylanders can still receive information and referrals regarding COVID-19 resources by calling 2-1-1 or texting your zip code to 898 211.
Legal Assistance Available for Veterans
The Homeless Persons Representation Project, Inc (HPRP) offers legal assistance for homeless or low-income veterans with
service-connected ability benefits, non-service-connected pensions, and discharge upgrades. Learn more about HPRP’s programs and services by calling 410-685-6589.
WSSC Approves Bill Amnesty Program
Starting June 1st, the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) will launch a month-long program for those who have delinquent balances as of May 1, 2023. The program will provide bill credits, waive late payment charges, and turn-on fees for eligible customers. Residential water service turn offs will also be temporarily suspended. As of late March, almost 87,000 accounts are past due, totaling almost $57 million, most of which are residential customers. For more information about WSSC Water’s "Get Current" program, go to www.wsscwater.com/getcurrent.
Where’s My Straw?
Like many of us, you probably have a drawer full of straws, plastic ware, and napkins. Starting June 1, check your takeout bags for straws, utensils, stirrers, cup sleeves, and condiments. This new legislation applies to full-service restaurants, coffee shops, supermarkets, vending trucks, food trucks, and cafeterias. Single-use food ware accessories and condiments will only be provided upon request.
Elderly Property Tax Credit
What is this new credit?
• Beginning July 1, 2023, Prince George’s County will provide up to a 20% credit of the County portion of the property tax bill, inclusive of any Homeowners and Homestead Credit (total max of 20%), for up to 5 years. * A fiscal year is defined as July 1 through June 30 of the following year.
Who is eligible for this credit?
• To be eligible for this credit, you must meet all the following criteria:
1. At least one homeowner is age 65 and over (by June 30 of the prior fiscal year) AND
2. The eligible homeowner has resided at the property the credit is sought for at least the previous ten fiscal years AND
3. The assessed value of your property does not exceed $500,000 as of July 1, 2023. AND adjusted annually for new applicants by the lesser of CPI or 3%.
4. Applications must be received by October 1st of the fiscal year the credit is sought.
Example: Received by October 1, 2023, for the fiscal year billing of July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024.
How do I know the assessed value of my property?
1. Your prior year's tax bill reflects the assessed value. However, this value updates effective July 1 of each year as provided by the State Department of Assessments and Taxation.
2. If you do not have a tax bill available, you can look up your account using your street address on the Tax Inquiry page: http://taxinquiry.princegeorgescountymd.gov/TaxInquiry.aspx
How do I apply?
• Applications will be made available online and at various locations. You can check out the site here for updates: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/426/Property-Taxes
• The County plans to have at least two enrollment fairs to assist residents with applying
Please let me know if there are other issues you have questions or thoughts about. And, of course, feel free to be in touch if I can be of help to you. Just email 21stDistrictDelegation@gmail.com or call 410-841-3141.